Thursday 30 September 2010

Monday in the Print Room

I was looking forward to going in the print room, as I'd done some printing at my evening classes. They didn't let us loose on the big presses (yet!) but we used lots of old wood block letters, which are so beautiful to use, really chunky and tactile. The lovely noise the ink makes as you roller it is good too!

This was my first image. I love the E stamp!

I used blue ink with the same letters over this advert from Glamour magazine. I love the freshness of this image.
Using letters to cover up this model worked well.
I also used the same letters to create some people, but I'm going to do some more work on those and will post that later!

I used a page from 'Captivating' one of my all time favourite books, which is all about womanly beauty and the Christian life as the background for this. I love the little letters which our tutor got in Early Learning!
The next three images are about the labels our clothes give us. We wear designer labels, or fairtrade cotton or our favourite shop, but what we wear also influences what people think about us. I know in our post-modern world that that is not a popular thing to say, but it's true otherwise why would people buy fashion magazines and have face lifts? So if you are dressed immodestly what does it say about you? The bible verses often quoted about women's hair etc were written by Paul to the Corithians who were living in a city with temples to Greek gods, were temple prostitutes were used. Paul gave his instructions so the Christian Corithians could distinguish themselves from the temple prostitutes who had short hair (women) and long hair (men) and dressed in particular ways. So Paul was saying don't dress like a prostitute or you could be mistaken for one. That seems sensible advice and still applicable. So what labels do we wear? Cheap, easy, frumpy even?
This came out gorier than I wanted because of the red ink!

Taken after I'd done the image above. Again a bit gory!

Much better! I think the blue has more impact, and I like the way the writing obscures her face.
 

There are a load more things to post but I haven't taken pictures of them all yet. There are so many ideas now and I feel the project is finally beginning to say what I want it to say. I want to do some text experiements and some fashion drawings of my own now!

No comments:

Post a Comment