Thursday 30 September 2010

Change of Direction

First of three posts to try and catch up with where I'm at with the project! As my last post showed I was really struggling with my theme and where I was headed. After bending Adrian's ear about it for most of Saturday, and then feeling inspired by Brighton's win at home (Had to put that in because I'm just not used to it yet!) I worked until 10pm on the following ideas. Instead of looking at Amish fashion, which is not really what I believe is necessary to be modest, how about altering images from fashion magazines to make them more modest? So I bought a copy of Glamour and then found some images to work on. Perhaps it's because it's Autumn but there was less to work on than I expected! I used some of the techniques from last week - tracing paper, drawing on top of an image, and using acetate.

This is the first experiement. I used pen to give the girl on the right a longer skirt. The girl on the left is what I would consider to be modestly dressed anyway!
So after the initial experiement I got busy with the photocopier (thank goodness we've got a multi function printer here at home!) and produced the following images. I decided to stick them on squared paper as I wanted a designed look to them.

Advert for Topshop with 2 alternative suggestions

 This was a good image as there were lots of possibilities, despite the odd pose of the model

She looks a bit dumpy but I think the idea works ok.

 I had to work hard on this one, and the stripes were needed to disguise the belly button!

Another good image as it allowed for lots of possibilities.
Finally I feel like the project is heading where I want it to. It's relevant, fashionable and saying something. I couldn't wait for Monday to start working with text and trying out some stuff in the print room!

No comments:

Post a Comment