Saturday 9 February 2013

A patchwork denim skirt or how to make life difficult for yourself!

I bought this lovely, very simple skirt pattern - 3 pieces, a side zip, very straightforward. Unless you decide that you want to make a patchwork denim skirt, and that it can't be square patchwork, it has to be crazy patchwork!
I had an old denim skirt, which I had made from a pair of jeans, and had some old jeans of Adrian's. I traced the pattern onto freezer paper, then cut out pieces which I pinned onto the freezer paper. I used yellow thread and a zig zag stitch to sew the patches together. Now that all sounds quite easy, but I forgot to go forward and back when I started and ended my stitching, and then when I tried to pull the paper off the back it didn't come off very easily. So my front panel needed extra patches and some resewing. But, hey, it's all adding to the general worn, hippy style look.
I learnt some lessons for the back piece - by sewing back and forward and by overlapping the pieces more. Pulling the paper off the back still was a pain, and needed tweezers, but it worked.
So here's the finished skirt. Due to my weirded shaped back I had to make the darts much bigger than they were on the pattern, but I'm pleased with the end result. Denim skirts from jeans tend to be all of the 'adding triangle panels to the legs' variety, so it's nice to have done something very different!



1 comment:

  1. I love the skirt--great colors, boho vibe!!
    http://www.mogulinteriordesigns.com/category/77403589041/1/Bohemian-Skirts.htm

    ReplyDelete