Friday 9 September 2016

Freedom and setting myself free!

As you may know from my last blog post, I've been taking part in a 7 day miniseries challenge. I'd posted the first four days so here's what happened next!


This is day 5. I wrote free spirit then covered it with swirls, which is a technique I have used before. I see it when faced with a lovely large canvas that I was given and I felt intimidated by, so I wrote on it, then painted over it. I knew the messages where there but you couldn't see them, so the painting, or in this case the drawing, has to speak its own message!


Day 6 and I'd had some useful feedback via the Facebook group that was set up for the challenge that perhaps my free spirit was getting a bit trapped! It certainly feels rather squashed and the swirls have become rather heavy. 


Day 6 part 2! This is a collaboration between my and my mini artist! At 16 months old he is just beginning to make marks, so I held his hand and we did some scribbles together. This was an 'ah ha' moment! He picked the colours that grabbed his attention, and just placed the marks where he wanted, even if they were on top of each other, without worrying about balance or composition. I wanted to be this free!


Day 7 all my own work this time! I used pencils, just picked the colours I liked and tried to copy Simon's mark making technique. It was very freeing, although I did not that I wanted to try and make it balanced!

Here's the whole mini series starting top left and heading down to bottom right.


I learnt that I need to really chuck out the 'rules' that I have in my head, and it definitely takes me to another place creatively. Don't do what you think you ought to, try and go with feelings or intuition! Exciting to see where I go next!


No comments:

Post a Comment